I was visiting my sister a few years ago and when I walked into her house, it smelled absolutely amazing! Some banana goodness was in the oven, and I couldn’t wait to have some!
When she pulled out her banana nut bread, it had a lovely brown crust and was wonderfully fragrant. I could barely wait for it to come out of the pan before I had a slice… and it was amazing! She had collected the recipe from her years in Chicago, something she had clipped out of a paper and made her own.
Before we get started, just a few tips. I only use very ripe bananas for this recipe. When they are too ripe for me to eat, I toss them in the freezer for banana bread or a smoothie. These bananas are sweeter and pack way more flavor! I have used coconut oil in this recipe instead of shortening, however, I found the bread is a little more dense and dries out a bit faster (I had to try it though) I haven’t been able to remove the sugar without sacrificing the bread’s quality so it stays, for now anyway. This bread is fragrant, super moist and travels and freezes well.
Give this one a try, but, one last word of warning…this Banana Bread is a total diet buster! It keeps everyone coming back for more, until it’s gone. I hope you love this bread, please share the recipe and I would love to hear your feedback.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup shortening or coconut oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350`. Grease and lightly flour 2 bread pans.
- In a small bowl stir together flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Mix shortening, sugar, bananas, and eggs with a mixer. Add dry ingredients slowly. Then fold in pecans. Mix until all ingredients are completely integrated.
- Pour batter evenly into your 2 greased and floured pans.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes. Start testing doneness by inserting a toothpick into center of bread at about 45 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Cool in pans for 5-10 minutes, then, turn loaves out onto a wire rack.
- Cool completely if you can wait that long. Enjoy