One of my favorite time saving tricks in the kitchen is my preparation of garlic. I have mentioned in prior blogs, I am a hairdresser, therefore I am conscious of the way my hands smell since they are touching people two inches from their nose all day. I have also mentioned I am Italian, so garlic is a staple in everything I make, I mean everything. Chopping garlic is a mess and time consuming, so check out how to always have it fresh any way you like it, in a matter of moments.
1. Go to Costco and buy the Christopher Ranch Organic Peeled Garlic 3lb bag.
2. Rinse well and lay out to dry. Divide into three sections. Turn the oven on 425 degrees.
3. Place one pile of garlic into the food processor and chop into sizing of your preference.
4. Place it in a foil boat, and drizzle avocado oil over top of it. Place in oven until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes if finely chopped. Set aside to cool. (I used to use olive oil, until I read it is unhealthy when heated past a certain temperature, but what is good for you any more?)
5. Repeat step 3. Put itin a saute pan and drizzle grape seed oil over it. Place on the stove and turn the heat to medium. Cook the garlic until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes if finely chopped. Set aside to cool.
6. Repeat step 3. Label 3 gallon size Ziploc baggies RAW, SAUTEED, ROASTED.
7. Place the garlic in the food processor in the bag labeled raw. Secure the baggie closed with little air. Press it into a thin layer across the entire baggie. Remove all excess air.
8. When the roasted and sauteed garlic is fully cooled, place in correctly marked bags. Repeat the same process as step 7. Stack the bags and lay them flat in the freezer.
Break it of any size you wish for any dish. Enjoy sauteed or roasted in dressings, marinades, or sauces. Use frozen raw in place of fresh anytime.
Not only is garlic, yummy, it has been used throughout history for its health benefits. It’s is low in calories and packed with magnesium, Vitamin B6 and C.Treat the common cold and boot your immune system by eating it raw, or lower your blood pressure and cholesterol. It has also been known to help prevent Alzheimer’s with its antioxidants. With this blog, you can now enjoy all the health benefits of garlic, quickly and easily without the smell!